A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. The teaching should enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and in writing.’ (National Curriculum 2014 – Appendix A)
Learning a language enriches the curriculum and helps to create enthusiastic learners with positive attitudes to language learning throughout life. The skills, knowledge and understanding gained, contribute to children’s understanding of their own culture and those of others enabling them to play a valuable part in our global society. To enable our children to celebrate and welcome differences in our world it is vital that they develop an understanding of different languages and countries. At Crowton Christ Church CE Primary School, we believe languages are part of the cultural richness of our society and the world in which we live and work.
Through our MFL curriculum, we aim:
- To inspire a love of language.
- For learners to appreciate the value of learning another language and recognise its contribution to mutual understanding, a sense of global citizenship and personal fulfilment.
- For all children to experience high-quality and engaging lessons which are throughout Key Stage 2.
- For children to develop as enthusiastic independent learners.
- To develop good speaking and listening skills.
- For all learners to make good progress throughout the Key Stage.
A clear and coherent MFL curriculum taught throughout Key Stage 2.
- To ensure the curriculum is clearly and consistently delivered, progressive, engaging and accessible to all learners we have made the decision to follow the Twinkl PlanIt Scheme of Work (SOW) and to supplement, as desired, with other resources.
- The Twinkl PlanIt SOW is set out in a year by year basis to ensure full coverage and progression of skills within year groups.
- As part of CPD, the Twinkl PlanIt SOW offers staff the opportunity to hear French pronunciation modelled by French speakers.
- The Twinkl PlanIt SOW offers a range of differentiated activities in each year group in order to provide appropriate resources for all learners.
Children will develop a love of language and appreciate the value of learning another language during their time at Crowton. All learners will experience consistent, engaging, high quality, well-resourced language learning leading to good levels of progress. Children will develop as enthusiastic, independent learners who are able to express their ideas and thoughts with their peers and their teachers.